A traditional firm with a modern approach
Rory Fordyce is Head of our Commercial Property department and has specialised in property work for more than 40 years.
I have always been interested in buildings, architecture, construction and the business of property. In fact, the commercialisation of property as a business interested me to such an extent that shortly after qualifying, I acquired a hotel at a property auction. This was situated in a Cotswold village and the building itself was listed. The whole process and the amount of work involved was certainly an early eye-opener for me. This ranged from obtaining planning permission and listed building consent, dealing with the historic buildings officer, the tourist office, architects, structural engineers and building contractors. Whilst it is not an experience I am keen to repeat, the result was a successful pub with a restaurant above and a rear courtyard of small retail arts & crafts shops.
This experience gave me an immediate understanding of the issues and problems involved in planning, construction, project management, professional teams, licenced premises, shops and general development and investment. Suffice to say, my preferred route thereafter was to act as the lawyer for clients undertaking such projects.
I now specialise in a variety of property work and act for a wide range of clients including private individuals, commercial developers, land owners, partnerships, housing groups and local authorities. I enjoy working with the client at an early stage of the transaction; whether it is a straight forward property deal, house purchase or a development of some kind. I am often asked for my opinion on the strategy or concept for an acquisition or options for planning and development or investment.
Contact Rory by calling him on 01962 841041 to discuss the advice you need. Alternatively email Rory at email@example.com and either he or his PA Linda Staib-Jensen will contact you as soon as possible, usually the same day.
Examples of instructions in recent years include:
- Residential house sales and purchases.
- Office and shop lease, rent deposit deed, licence to alter, guarantor.
- Several medium sized local housing developments involving advice on property acquisition and sale, land assembly and infra-structure, conditional contracts and sales.
- Large local housing development involving development agreement, access agreement, building licence, mixed use issues including housing, retail and leisure centre, network rail with transport issues and project management.
- Several commercial business and industrial park investment acquisitions.
- Commercial premises agreement for lease with planning and redevelopment provisions involving advice on conditional contracts and option agreements, planning and construction matters, vat on property issues, building contracts and warranties and commercial leases.
- Single property re-development in London involving advice on demolition, party wall issues, planning and construction matters, vat re building contracts, structure and operation of building contracts, warranties and building contract disputes.
- Town centre retail re-development involving advice on planning applications and procedure, judicial review, civic projects and European procurement procedure, pre-lets, mixed use and mixed tenure schemes, sustainability issues, environmental and contamination issues and rights of light disputes.
- Office and retail development involving advice on commercial leases, occupational arrangements, rent reviews, options to break and options to renew, service charge and maintenance issues and security of tenure.
- Mortgages and loans, legal charges and debentures and general securitisation of loans secured on property.
Prior to starting Taylor Fordyce in 2010 in Winchester, Rory spent 14 years as a partner of a firm in the City of London, the last years of which were as head of the commercial property department. Prior to that, Rory had his own practice for ten years in Egham, having previously been a partner in Lincoln’s Inn for 8 years which is where he qualified.